Friday 22 June 2012

Tangerine Tip Toes


These shoes are AMAZING. And they only cost me $5!

When my sister came to stay for a while, I wanted to make something special and cool for her to show off to her friends. So we came up with these. Pretty neat huh?!

They are so simple to do. If you know how to use RIT dye then you are already have the knowledge to make your own pair. 
If not then keep reading after the jump to learn how!
First you need your shoes and your RIT dye

Before picture of the shoes. Pretty boring right?
I chose Tangerine because it's so nice and vibrant. We need a little colour with all this yucky and dull weather we have been having. 

Next you need to get your dye pot ready. If this is your first time dyeing, make sure you have a pot that isn't used for anything else. It would be rather unpleasant to eat something that has just been turned Purple from your dyeing experience. Also make sure the spoons you use to stir with is only for dyeing. For the dye bath, just follow the instructions on the packet. Its fairly straightforward. I like the stove top option best. 


The shoes don't really fit in the pot very well, so you can't just leave them and just stir every 5 or so minutes. I had to stand there and hold them in the water. Every 5-10 minutes I would pick them up (gloves on) and flip them over to make sure they got a good coverage. 

Once that is done, rinse them and dry them. I threw these ones in the dryer for about half hour, then let them air dry for the rest of the time. 

In the beginning I was worried the sole would melt, or become distorted in the hot dye bath, but thats not the case. They hold up extremely well. 

End result?


Pretty awesome if you ask me!

Give it a go. You'll be surprised at how easy it is!






No comments:

Post a Comment